Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sick Day....and Let's Keep it That Way

If people must be sick please let's keep it to one day.

I went to Jazzercise this morning and my feet didn't hurt! Big win for me. As I was driving home I passed "Child's" mother who had just dropped her off for the day. Within 10 minutes of my being home "Child" threw up. I tried to get mom on the phone before she got too far away but she didn't get my message until she was at work. She did get out early and on her way to pick "Child" up she had a blow-out on the 84 East. So I piled most of my offspring into the bus along with "Child" and we met mom at Les Schwab and took them both home. Productive morning.

After a trip to the library and grocery store we returned home and I prepared food for my family. Matt had been battling a sore throat and spent the day at rest. It was a boring afternoon of lying around watching TV and playing with LEGOs. Then comes bed time.

Half the children are bathed and all are ready for bed. Then I hear the dreaded, "Oh no!" from Megan. Ian had made a mad-dash for the bathroom where hit hit every target EXCEPT the toilet. So back into the tub with him. Matt - bless his punky soul - cleaned up the mess and Ian while I gathered the laundry and got the other children calmed down and squared away.

Then I checked on Matt to see if he wanted anything to eat. "No. My throat feels like glass." I know what that means. After two bouts of strep throat in as many months I consider myself a reluctant expert. I checked his neck for swollen glands. Bingo!

ME: "You are going to Urgent Care tomorrow."

HIM: "No, I'll wait until Monday."

ME: "You have a job interview on Wednesday. You'll go tomorrow."

It's no fair for him to come down with strep at the beginning of his birthday week but if we do things right he should be well in time to celebrate on Friday.

If anyone else in this house has intentions of being sick I'd like them all to do it now. I'd rather not spend the entire spring break playing Nurse Nelly.


No comments: