Tuesday, March 15, 2011

One score ago.....

....OR
It was 20 years ago this St. Patrick's Day that I met my husband!

Twenty years? It seems like such a long time.

When you say you will stay with someone forever you really have no idea how long forever will be. It could be 60+ years or one of you could fall off the edge of a mountain on your fascinating honeymoon to the Swiss Alps. You just don't know.

Twenty years isn't so long. For a tree in California's Avenue of the Giants twenty years is a drop in the bucket. On the other hand for a pine tree growing in Oregon it's over the hill. I jest. Sort of.

Considering the current divorce rate in the United States, twenty years is a long time. I know I've been out of high school almost 24 years but I don't feel old - until I think about the fact that I've been out of high school for 24 years.

How can it be that I have been with my husband for twenty years but I feel about as mature as the average 18 year old? I know Matt is 20 years older too but he hasn't grown up any more than I have. If you take a long look at the facts, we may actually be regressing!

How can we possibly have squeezed so much living into such a short amount of time? I think I'd like to take the next twenty years a little slower. When I go to my 40 year high school reunion and people ask what I've been up to since the last reunion I want to honestly answer, "Not much. You?"

I'm not complaining. It is probably all of this "living" that has kept us from noticing we're getting older. It would be nice to keep on moving so fast that our age doesn't catch up to us until we reach our 80's. Matt can't imagine being alive another thirty years. When we met he didn't think he'd make it to 30, and he was 28 at the time!

Which reminds me; Matt's 48th birthday is fast approaching. So no matter how old I get, as long as Matt is alive, I will feel young by comparison. Thank you for that, Ffew!

Happy 20th Anniversary!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kathleen,

I'm putting this here because it's the last thing you wrote. But I actually copied this scripture from your 2008 post below...

It's drenched in the Holy Spirit, like crumbles of bread, completely saturated in olive oil. It heals. Your blogs were part of a healing process in my life, a hard time in our marriage which could have ended in separation as well. And coincidentally "?"a pregnancy that could have ended in uterine rupture, had I not headed the warning of your experience. No, not a coincidence at all.

Here is the scripture:
Revelations 3:3,11 3)Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. 11)I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

Grace and peace to you and your family.

Cass