Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Priceless Gift

My life is far from perfect but I consider myself blessed. I have had more than my share of difficulties and I have learned, and continue to learn, from them. The biggest thing I have learned is to find forgiveness in my heart so that I may be happy.

Forgiveness isn't for the persons we forgive. It gives us healing and closure. If we lose that sense of forgiveness we hurt ourselves far worse than the un-forgiven.

If I could give one gift to everyone this Christmas, and all the new year, it would be the ability to forgive and move on with their lives. Forgiveness isn't an easy thing to achieve because often times we think it excuses the acts of another. It doesn't. We think that if we forgive then the wrong-doer will never be brought to task for his or her actions. They will. I struggled for a long time with un-forgiveness. I thought that those people who had hurt me needed to be brought to justice. What I was really feeling was the desire for revenge. "'Justice is mine,' saith the Lord..." but we always think we know better. We want action now! This is a lesson in patience, to wait upon the Lord. He is always faithful to fulfill His promises but in His time, not on our schedule.

If we hold on to anger and hurt then we cannot, and will not, be happy. God has given us these tools to live a happy life. He doesn't promise no pain or sorrow but He does promise to comfort us when we mourn, to lift us up on wings of eagles and to hold us in the palm of His hand. This makes me pretty darn happy!

The greatest reward of forgiving is a sense of peace. Forgiveness, while a gift to the receiver, is an even greater gift for the one who gives it. It costs more than anything you will find in the most expensive stores but won't put a dent in your bank account. And the returns are countless. Try a little forgiveness this Christmas.

No comments: