Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I Believe in Miracles

I come from a LARGE family. I am the 11th of 12 children. By the time I was born the oldest son was 16 years old. When my younger sister was born the two oldest sons were moved out on their own. There is a 19 year span from the birth of the first to the birth of the last child. Despite our best efforts there is also a huge gap in relationships.

The last time the entire family was together was in 1973. I don't remember this but there is a family portrait as proof. No photoshopping back then. Over time we have all followed our own paths in many different directions. Some joined the military and traveled the world. Others stayed closer to home. Some of us stayed in the country but have moved out of state. We have come home for weddings and funerals and anniversaries but never all of us at the same time. For many different reasons some have chosen to separate themselves from the rest of the family. This is the saddest thing of all.

When people make a conscious choice to sever ties with their families it can feel like a death, especially if the reason is unknown. Families can be left to wonder if their siblings or children are alive. Whatever the reason-an argument or harsh words, personal struggles, shame-such a break from family hurts many people.

When I was growing up I remember spending holidays and vacations with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, great aunts and uncles and 2nd cousins. When there was a wedding or funeral everyone was there. I was proud of my big family. It makes me sad that my children don't know all of their aunts and uncles but sadder still that they might never get to know them because of the distance some have purposely placed between themselves and the family.

So, what are these miracles I speak of? Lately these wandering lambs have been returning to the flock to the great joy of the shepherd and shepherdess. After years of self-exile they are calling home to let our parents know they are alive. They are coming home for holiday gatherings. The emotional and long-distance separations are coming to an end. I am even willing to hope that we will all be together again before Mom and Dad die. All of the siblings with their spouses and children coming together-I can think of no greater miracle to hope and pray for!

I am calling out to all of you:
Mom and Dad (2)
Lloyd, Jessica and Daniel and their spouses and children (8)
Pat and Susan (10)
Michael, Lorita and Michaela (13)
Jerry and Susan (15)
Steve and Suni, Jeremiah and Stephanie (19)
Ruth and Jim (21)
Joe and Jennifer, Laura and Dustin & Matt (26)
Margaret, Kristina & John (29)
Kathleen & Matt, Chris, Nathan, Megan, Ian, Noah, David, & Mary (38)
Karen (39)
Any more I don't know about yet????

Somebody reserve the hall. I feel a Brown Family Revival coming on and the world won't know what hit it!

No comments: