Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Only Constant......

Those who know me best know that change is not my cup of tea.  What made me think parenting would be the right choice for me?  Babies are cute but they don't stay babies forever.  They get bigger and more mobile and learn to talk and become independent and grow up and.... 

What happens in that .... is a whole lot of living and growing and messing up and learning from their own mistakes.  No matter how much we try to protect them, they must strike out on their  own.  It isn't just about not wanting them to fail.  There is a whole lot of ego involved.  Did I do a good enough job as a parent?  Have I prepared them for a world that doesn't always align with our values?  If they choose different paths than the one we have guided them on so far, how does that make us look?

I do not want to see my children struggle, and by that I don't mean that they shouldn't have to work for anything.  I know life is full of difficulties and hard work is character building.  I just pray that they will avoid the same pit stops I made along my journey.  The most important lessons I have tried to impart haven't been in reading, writing, and arithmetic.  They have been about life experiences I would like them to avoid and the kind of life I, and God, would like them to pursue. 

Whatever path each of my children chooses to follow, I want their choices to glorify God.  I am living proof that just because a person chooses the highway to hell doesn't mean she cannot change her itinerary to take the stairway to heaven.  One appears an exciting ride while the other seems like a tedious climb.  If there is one thing I have learned in recent years it is the joy of not taking shortcuts.  Whether it is hiking the longer, steeper trail to a magnificent view or making something beautiful and delicious from scratch, the extra time and effort is its own reward.

As I watch Nathan follow his artistic passion with enthusiasm, I am excited and afraid for him.  It is joyous to see him nurture and embrace his talents.  At the same time, I fear he is not prepared for how hard it is going to be to make it into a career.  He has a part-time job in food service.  He has just received his learner's permit.  We need to teach him how to drive and how to budget wisely on very little income.  He may be finished with his academic career, but our job as teachers is far from over.

Our other children still need us very much, but Nathan is a young man taking on new responsibilities.  This is the part of parenting I think we can never be prepared for.  I only hope experience makes it easier.  

No comments from the peanut gallery, please.

No comments: